Water Links for the Grand Valley
WATER MANAGERS AND PROVIDERS
- Colorado River District www.crwcd.org 945-8522 The Colorado River District is the principal water policy and planning agency for the Colorado River Basin within the State of Colorado. The District was chartered by the Colorado General Assembly in 1937 to be “the appropriate agency for the conservation, use and development of the water resources of the Colorado River and its principal tributaries in Colorado.”
- Grand Valley Domestic Water Providers http://www.thedripwebsite.com/ The Grand Valley's principal domestic water providers have collaborated to form the Drought Resistance Information Program (DRIP), which promotes wise water use through regular newspaper columns and other public education media. These providers include the City of Grand Junction, Clifton Water, Ute Water and the Town of Palisade. Links to each water provider, as well as their collaborative efforts, can be found on the DRIP website.
- Grand Valley Irrigation Providers http://www.irrigationprovidersgv.org/ The Grand Valley's irrigation providers include the Grand Valley Irrigation Canal, Grand Valley Water Users Association, Mesa Irrigation District, Orchard Mesa Irrigation District, Palisade Irrigation District, and Redlands Canal and Power Company. In addition to maintaining a joint website, the irrigators have collaborated on the “It's the Desert – Live With It” billboard campaign.
- Basin Roundtables (including the Colorado and Gunnison Basin Roundtables) http://ibcc.state.co.us/ Basin Roundtables bring together a broad set of local representatives and agency liaisons to contribute to allocate resources and provide input into state water policy decisions.
- Grand Valley/ Lower Gunnison Basin Wise Water Use Council - see "Water Council" tab on this page. TThe Wise Water Use Council brings together domestic and irrigation water providers, state, local and federal agencies, and other interested parties in order to pursue its mission to “Improve public understanding of the value of water and promoting wise water use in the lower Gunnison and Grand Valleys.”
- 5-2-1 Drainage Authority http://521drainageauthority.org 263-8201 The 5-2-1 Drainage Authority was formed to protect people and property from flooding and to comply with federal stormwater management requirements. It combines programs formerly operated by Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade, Mesa County, and the Grand Valley Drainage District.
- Selenium Task Forces www.seleniumtaskforce.org The Grand Valley and Gunnison Basin Task Forces bring together private, local, state and federal interests committed to addressing selenium in the region's waterways.
FEDERAL AND STATE AGENCIES WITH GRAND VALLEY OFFICES
- Bureau of Reclamation www.usbr.gov/uc/wcao 248-0690 The Western Colorado Office of the Bureau of Reclamation is responsible for water storage, management and educational activities in the upper Colorado, Gunnison, Yampa, White, Dolores, Uncompahgre, Animas and San Juan River Basins.
- US Fish & Wildlife Service - Grand Junction Colorado River Fishery Project www.fws.gov/grandjunctionfishandwildlife/
- US Fish & Wildlife Service - Upper Colorado River Endangered Fish Recovery Program www.fws.gov/coloradoriverrecovery/ 245-5257